Ready to Audition with Savoy?
Call for leads, chorus, and backstage! The Savoy Company is looking for new members to stage Gilbert & Sullivan’s comic opera/musical comedy RUDDIGORE in spring 2020.
The Savoy Company welcomes new talent! To schedule an audition and interview time, to receive audition materials/character descriptions, or to get more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Rehearsals will begin in January 2020.
Auditions and Interviews are by appointment only.
- Friday, December 13, 2019 from 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Sunday, December 15, 2019 from 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Tuesday, December 17, 2019 from 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Philadelphia Boys Choir, 1336 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19123
Entrance will be through the center doors on Spring Garden.
(Please bring a resume with you to auditions, a headshot is optional)
Music Director Peter Hilliard and Stage Director Deb Schrager seek 14 adults (age 21 and over) for lead roles. All roles require strong vocal skills and some dance skills.
- Sir Ruthven Murgatroyd (disguised as Robin Oakapple, a young farmer) – Baritone
- Richard Dauntless (Robin’s foster-brother, a Man-o’-war’s-man) – Tenor
- Sir Despard Murgatroyd, of Ruddigore (a Wicked Baronet) – Baritone
- Old Adam Goodheart (Robin’s Faithful Servant) – Bass Baritone
- Sir Roderick Murgatroyd (the Twenty-first Baronet, a ghost) – Baritone
- Rose Maybud (a Village Maiden) – Soprano
- Mad Margaret – Mezzo-soprano
- Dame Hannah (Rose’s Aunt) – Contralto
- Zorah (Professional Bridesmaid) – Soprano
- Ruth (Professional Bridesmaid) – Speaking/Chorus
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Ghosts – Speaking/Chorus
Lead audition materials are available here.
Men’s Chorus: Chorus of gentlemen, ghosts
Women’s Chorus: Chorus of bridesmaids, ladies
If you are handy with a hammer, circular saw, glue, or needle and thread, you can help build set pieces, make costumes, and do all the important things that make the show possible. Almost all aspects of the productions are produced or managed by enthusiastic Savoyards. Members are encouraged to apply whatever talents they have to putting on the show (and maybe even discover new talents).
Savoy is unique in that it performs Gilbert & Sullivan comic operas at 2 venues
- May 29 & 30: Open Air Theatre of Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, PA
- June 12 & 13: The Suzanne Roberts Theatre, Philadelphia, PA
Leads, Chorus, and Backstage are required to commit to the dates listed above.
The Savoy Company, celebrating its 120th season, is a non-profit theater organization — all leads, chorus, and backstage personnel are volunteers.